My Blog

Dr. Kenney’s Friday 5 Spot – July 17

No comments

On Fridays I like to share some of the experiences I’ve had during the week with patients and in my personal life that I’ve found significant in some way.  Hopefully, you find value in them.

Something I saw recently that I loved?  My wife and I dropped our youngest off at my in-laws last week and as we drove away, we noticed a little stand at the end of the road being run by a young girl and her mom.  I always love supporting kids out selling anything so we pulled up.  This little girl was selling macaroons in a little package of 4 that she had made herself with a ribbon tying it together.  It looked extremely professional and her mom told us she did it all herself.  The little girl then explained to us that she was saving up to buy a kitten.  As someone that loves business and loves when people really hustle in business, this was awesome to see.  Not only was this little girl out working hard to achieve her goal of buying something she wanted but she went above and beyond and made a far better than average product to do so.  Getting something you want is cool, getting something you want that you worked for is amazing!

A recent experience that served as a good reminder for me?  Last Friday morning I was out in my side yard flipping my 450 lb. tire as I do every week.  As I was doing so, I noticed that there was a boy about 10 or 11 years old across the street that had just moved in earlier in the week watching me do my workout. One of my strongest beliefs is that it is my job to set an example for those around me and that especially applies to children.  For this reason, I always try to always give an effort I can be proud of whether people are there to see it or not.  I feel that sometimes the greatest impression we make may be on eyes that we don’t know are seeing us.  There is a quote I love from Joe DiMaggio about this exact thing – “I played my best every day.  You never know when someone may be seeing you play for the first time.”

What kind of nutrition plan do you follow?  There are many nutrition plans to choose from but in general what works best for me is eating healthy foods every few hours.  I never count calories, I just eat healthy foods like proteins, veggies, fruits, nuts, etc. every few hours or when I’m hungry.  Each meal generally consists of protein, fat, and carbohydrates though I don’t follow any specific percentages on those.  Eating frequently keeps my energy levels high for my active lifestyle.  I start my day with a shake containing protein, fruits, and veggies, have a full lunch and dinner and then have some snacks between those meals.  90% of what I eat is healthy and so when I do indulge in the other 10%, I don’t feel guilty about it.  You name it and I’ve tried it, but this is what I’ve found most successful for me.

What can help me hold my adjustments better?  Some of the best things you can do for your spine are daily stretches (doesn’t have to be extensive but should be consistent), regular exercise, maintain good posture, practice good work ergonomics, maintain a healthy weight and avoid eating an abundance of inflammatory foods.  Each of these will take pressure off your spine, doing the opposite of these would apply pressure to your spine. 

Some quotes I love? 

“I didn’t come this far to only come this far.”

“So, this is how liberty dies…with thunderous applause.” —Padme Amidala, Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith

“We have not journeyed all this way because we are made of sugar candy.” – Winston S. Churchill

Want more?

  • Don’t forget to follow Dr. Kenney on Instagram @Coloradochiropractor
  • To see previous Friday 5 Spots, visit www.newbodychiro.com and go to “blog”
  • Check us out on Facebook under New Body Chiropractic

Matt KenneyDr. Kenney’s Friday 5 Spot – July 17

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.