There is almost not a day that passes that I’m not asked about whether chiropractic can help a woman during pregnancy. For over 11 years I have helped pregnant women and continue to do so each and every week. Today I would like to share 7 interesting facts from my experience of caring for pregnant women.
- Chiropractic is completely safe during pregnancy. I have personally performed more than 200,000 pregnancy adjustments. The same care I gave to the mother of my children during her pregnancies is the same care I give to my pregnant patients. Widespread research over many years also confirms the safety and benefit of chiropractic care during pregnancy.
- Chiropractic care helps relieve spinal pressure during pregnancy. In order to accommodate for the growth of the baby, a woman’s center of gravity will begin to change. This causes more pressure (and thus pain) within the lower back, sacral and hip areas, especially during the first trimester. During the 2nd trimester as the baby grows larger a woman may begin to have more thoracic (mid back) pain. Neck (cervical) pain is also common though usually not as severe. Chiropractic adjustments alleviate this pressure and pain.
- Chiropractic care provides proper nerve supply for the baby to aid in growth and development. When a woman’s spine is misaligned it will pressure her nerves. For example, the nerves that leave the spinal cord in the lower back not only power the surrounding muscles but also control the reproductive areas as well. Removing nerve pressure leads to pain relief but more importantly it allows for proper nerve supply to the baby to aid in growth and development.
- Many women receive chiropractic care throughout their entire pregnancy. Growing a human life inside of your own body is no small feat. As a result most women experience more discomfort with each progressive week. Chiropractic care makes the experience of pregnancy more enjoyable by allowing for less pain, better mobility, improved sleep and more. This is also why of all my patients; pregnant women often leave the happiest.
- My evaluation for a pregnant woman is completely non-invasive. My examination process during pregnancy (or women attempting to become pregnant) involves a detailed history, postural evaluation, range of motion and orthopedic testing, spinal and muscle evaluations. This provides ample data for me to use in order to help the patient. X-rays or other more invasive procedures are never performed on expecting moms in my office.
- Pregnancy adjustments lead to immediate results. As women progress through pregnancy their bodies continue to produce more and more of the hormones necessary to facilitate childbirth. Many of these hormones cause ligaments to relax which allows for extremely easy, low force adjustments to be performed with great ease and instant improvements. Other than children, pregnant women are the easiest adjustments I perform.
- Many medical doctors and mid wives refer their patients to chiropractors. I have personally received countless referrals from these practitioners throughout my career. I believe this is due to trust that I’ve built up with these experts after helping so many of their patients. One of my greatest referral sources at my previous office was from a doctor that recommended her patient not receive chiropractic care at my office during her pregnancy. I called her to respectfully ask why and we ended up having a great discussion. Once she understood better my approach to pregnancy care she began recommending chiropractic care for all of her patients, many of which I was fortunate enough to care for. These types of referrals are common.
Dr. Kenney has won multiple awards for “Best Chiropractor” and specializes in helping patients achieve their goals of better health and pain relief.
For more information or to schedule an appointment please visit www.NewBodyChiro.com, find us on Facebook (New Body Chiropractic & Wellness Center) or call (303) 347-9906.